Sunday, March 4, 2018

Oscars


So, first I want to say thank you for taking the time to read my article. I realize that you could be doing a number of things other than consuming my content. I also want to thank you, because by participating, you are helping me fulfill my dream to share my message with others.
            Today as I watch the Oscar Awards Ceremony, I am given hope that a better tomorrow is on the horizon. There are so many changes that have been made during this year’s award ceremony. There are people of color, people of different ethnic backgrounds, people of different sexual orientations all represented in the ceremony. So, what does that mean?
            I believe what it means was best stated  by one of the actors during the ceremony who was of Indian heritage. He said, “I made a movie about an Indian man that represents my life and white people have to find a way to relate, and they should be ok with that, because I have been doing that my whole life.” That comment really resonated with me because we should all live in a world that allows us to be unapologetically who we are. That privilege has been one of many privileges that has only been afforded to white people. It has been a wonderful experience to see the movie industry change. But, the change is so much more than just movies, it represents how children will see them self in characters. This means that my god children will be able to see them self in films. This means that they will have the ability to see themselves as everything from superheroes to business leaders. This means that they will push to be whatever they believe they are good at. They will never feel like they have to stop at a certain point because of the color of their skin. They will never have to wish they were another color, so they could live without limits. That is so powerful to me. I can’t wait to see what the next few years have to hold.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I may... The eyes are the windows to the soul............. To control the eye is to control the soul?? The ears are the doors to the heart..... And so on... I love the world we live in. My grandmother always said God laughs constantly at our plans.. God... I don't think God likes the controlling of the masses. I think it cuts down on the number of channels that he has to watch. Like this reply I think God enjoys sporadic. All over the place content. Just like us as American viewers we don't like the same ole same ole addictive predictable content. Hollywood is God's playground. With all this said all we can do as parents is plant little seeds of passion. Help them incept a realization that the world truly is theirs for the taking, all they need is the key of repitition. Degrees of segregation in my book are ABSOLUTELY mandatory. There are those who are sicker than others. Self counseling is difficult to conduct when you're starving. But I digress. Let's go get these gains this morning!!!

    ReplyDelete